Tuesday 8 August 2006

Mucha Me

I finally got a free day! (I just finished working 6 shifts in 5 days, figure that out.) I certainly did not expect to be working so often, though I was warned this could happen. Soon the regular staff members will be back from holidays, so I should be getting fewer call-ins.

Also my brother and his son (Aves who is pictured in the footer of this blog), SIL and the hellions were here on the weekend. Those days never count as "days off". :)

Anyway, instead of being particularly productive on things I should be doing, I made a self portrait in the style of Alphonse Mucha:

muchame8

I deesigned it on a whim, like everything I do. For whatever reason, I thought I'd digitally colour the original sketch. I have learned that I hate digital painting. My hands are killing me (yeah both of them-I drew on the tablet with my left and moused with my right-what do right handed people do!?) and it took forever! Of course my OCD-like tendencies would not allow me to quit when it was half done. This is why I rarely do large scale works.
I'm surprised at how even with the tablet I had a difficult time with line control. You can see this in the drunken look of the heavier lines. Bah. Still it looks kind of nice, if simpler and messier in general than Mucha's own pieces. The flower...thingy turned out weird though, I might go back to it when my hands are feeling better and I get my next day off, whenever that may be.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Very pretty! I love the pattern in the halo.

mem said...

Re: busy-ness. Working is better than starving. (Though, for an interesting object lesson in linguistics, check out the derivation of the word "starve.")

Re: birthday. It was an enjoyable day, and yes, I did sleep. ;)

Re: fighting. The trouble with biting, by the by, is that you have to get way too close to people who can break your teeth.

Re: left-handedness. The benefits are innumerable. The discrimination against us lefties, however, has got to stop.

mem said...

The six of us at the back left corner of my senior government class were all left-handed. We complained often among each other.

I think people often force left-handers to be right-handed in an effort to correct a presupposed deficiency.

I myself do all fine motor control (writing, et c.) with my left hand and leave the coarser (throwing, et c.) to the right. I can kick pretty evenly with both feet, and so games of dodgeball are fun.